|Come 2 My House is the tenth solo studio album by Chaka Khan, and her first to be released by NPG Records. The album was largely co-written and co-produced by Prince (as ). It was released in the USA in September 1998, with a UK release six months later.
Sessions and compiling
The album was recorded between November 1997, and June 1998, at Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA. Don’t Talk 2 Strangers was originally recorded in 1992, however, while Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart and ’ll Never B Another Fool (under it’s original title I’ll Never Open My Legs Again) were originally recorded in 1995.
Additionally, Hair was a cover of the Graham Central Station song from their 1973 album Graham Central Station (often played live by Prince (as ) in a medley with Days Of Wild). Chaka Khan wrote lyrics to the newer songs on the album, with Prince (as ) contributing music. He appeared as a musician throughout the album, although his specific contributions are uncredited.
An early configuration of the album, missing the track Democrazy which had not yet been recorded, was compiled in February 1998, and the album was set for release in July 1998, before being delayed for unknown reasons.
The album produced only one commercially-released single, Don’t Talk 2 Strangers (available in the UK only, where it preceded the album’s release), although Spoon was available as promotional single, and a promo sampler for the album was also available in the UK. The album reached number 49 on the US Billboard R&B Album Chart.
Chaka Khan toured extensively with Prince (as ) on the New Power Soul Tour and the New Power Soul Festival Tour, which was designed to promote this album and the 'companion' albums, the New Power Generation’s Newpower Soul and Graham Central Station’s GCS 2000, but Chaka Khan’s set focused on her catalogue of hit songs rather than this album. She toured independently following the release of the album, but not primarily in support of this album.
- Chaka Khan - lead vocals
- Prince (as ) - all instruments, except where noted, background vocals on Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart, Democrazy and The Drama, guitar on Don’t Talk 2 Strangers, horn arrangements
- Michael B. Nelson - trombone on Come 2 My House, Pop My Clutch, Democrazy, Reconsider (U Betta) and Hair, horn arrangements
- Kathy Jensen - baritone saxophone on Come 2 My House, Pop My Clutch, Democrazy, Reconsider (U Betta) and Hair
- Brian Gallagher - tenor saxophone on Come 2 My House, Pop My Clutch, Democrazy and Hair
- Dave Jensen - trumpet on Come 2 My House, Pop My Clutch, Democrazy, Reconsider (U Betta) and Hair
- Steve Strand - trumpet on Come 2 My House, Pop My Clutch, Democrazy, Reconsider (U Betta) and Hair
- Clare Fischer - orchestration on Intro and This Crazy Life Of Mine
- Larry Graham - bass guitar on Betcha and Hair, vocals on Democrazy
- Ricky Peterson - keyboards on Betcha, Remember U and Don’t Talk 2 Strangers
- Brother Jules - scratches on Betcha
- Robert D. Palmer - additional vocals on Spoon
- Queen Latifah - vocals on Pop My Clutch (credited as "featuring...")
- Mike Scott - acoustic guitar on Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart and Don’t Talk 2 Strangers, guitar on Remember U
- Chanté Moore - vocals on Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart
- Marva King - background vocals on Democrazy
- Rhonda Smith - bass guitar on Remember U
- Walter Chancellor Jr. - saxophone on Reconsider (U Betta)
- Michael B. - drums on Don’t Talk 2 Strangers, (uncredited, sampled loop from sample cd Funky-ass Loops) on Spoon and ’ll Never B Another Fool
- Sonny T. - bass (uncredited, sampled loop from sample cd Funky-ass Loops) on Spoon and ’ll Never B Another Fool
- Mayte - finger cymbals and background vocals on Hair
- Kirk Johnson - all instruments, except where noted, on The Drama
- Chaka Khan - co-producer on Come 2 My House, Intro, This Crazy Life Of Mine, Betcha, Pop My Clutch, Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart, ’ll Never B Another Fool, Democrazy, Remember U, Reconsider (U Betta), Don’t Talk 2 Strangers and Hair
- Prince (as )- co-producer on Come 2 My House, Intro, This Crazy Life Of Mine, Betcha, Pop My Clutch, Journey 2 The Center Of Your Heart, ’ll Never B Another Fool, Democrazy, Remember U, Reconsider (U Betta), Don’t Talk 2 Strangers and Hair
- Kirk Johnson - producer on The Drama
- Ricky Peterson - additional production on Betcha, Remember U and Don’t Talk 2 Strangers
- Hans-Martin Buff - engineer
- Brian Gardner - mastering (graduation) at Bernie Grundman
- Reggie Wells - make-up
- Barry Fletcher - hair
- (Steve) Parke - art direction, design and photography
- Thank: The Creator, Sandra and Charles 4 making me. Raeven and Tallon, my latest inspirations. Milini and Damien, my oldest inspirations. Tammy, my manager, sister and best friend. Her husband Howard and the McCrary’s. Bonnie and her husband Tom. Mark and Zeheva, my siblings. My family in Chicago... and all of U! , my spiritual brother and his wife, Mayte. The fantastic Graham family. Londell McMillan and Don Wilson 4 their council and support. Joan Scott, Tanya and Courtni Shipley, Chann Berry, Fred Sherrard, Jack Patterson, Reggie Wells and Michael Alsondo. Pepsi, love ya! David Gest 4 making me laugh. Simone Morrison, 4 everything! My entire band and singers. Darryl Hill and my Friend Club. And Sangki 4 smoothing the rough edges and love. Radio, Retail and Video 4 making sure that you are able to hear and buy my music. And most importantly... U. Thank U. Chaka