|2007: Never Forget: A Journey Of Revelations ◄||All Albums||All Related Artists Albums||► 2010: Concrete Jungle|
|Released:|| 24 March 2009 (download)|
29 March 2009 (USA/Target release)
7 September 2009 (French release)
|Studio(s):||Paisley Park Studios, Chanhassen, MN, USA; Circle House, Miami, FL, USA|
Elixer is the first and only full-length studio album by Bria Valente, and is only available in a package with Prince's 33rd and 34th albums Lotusflow3r and MPLSound. It was initially released as a download on the launch date of Prince's website Lotusflow3r.com, with a CD release exclusively at Target five days later as part of Prince's 3CD package known as Lotusflow3r.
The album produced one download-only single, Another Boy, released six months before the album, although a few tracks had been previewed as online streams also. In October 2007, Here Come was streamed on 3121.com as the site's first "Jam Of The Week" (initially known as "Jam Of The Month"). In May 2008, a clip of Home was premiered on DrFunkenberry.com.
Bria Valente did not promote the album, but Prince promoted the 3CD set, which benefited Elixer also (see Lotusflow3r and MPLSound for promotion details). The album package reached number 2 on the US Billboard 200, and number 1 on both the Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Albums Chart and the Billboard Independent Albums chart, perhaps due in part to the sale of three CDs together for the low retail price of $11.98.
Specific recording dates for the album are not known. Prince began working with Valente in late 2006, however (and she first appeared on the track The Song Of The Heart).
Kept Woman was initially recorded with Támar Davis between early 2005 and early 2006, and was intended for her album Beautiful, Loved & Blessed, later renamed Milk & Honey before it was abandoned. Bria Valente's version was a re-recording, however, tracked at some point between late 2006 and early 2009. Here Come was recorded between late 2006 and late 2007.
Home was recorded at some point between late 2006 and early 2008. Another Boy and Elixer were recorded at some point between late 2006 and Summer 2008. The remaining tracks could have been recorded at any point between late 2006 and early 2009 - All This Love, Something U Already Know, Everytime, 2nite and Immersion.
The album was mostly recorded by Prince and Bria Valente alone, although C.C. Dunham and Joshua Dunham appear on three tracks, All This Love, Something U Already Know and Kept Woman, and Clare Fischer provided string arrangements on Everytime and Elixer.
- Here Come (4:28)
- All This Love (4:39)
- Home (4:26)
- Something U Already Know (5:44)
- Everytime (3:50)
- 2nite (5:02)
- Another Boy (3:56)
- Kept Woman (4:15) *
- Immersion (4:02)
- Elixer (4:00)
- Bria Valente - lead vocals
- Prince - all instruments, except where noted; co-lead vocals on Elixer
- C.C. Dunham - drums on All This Love, Something U Already Know and Kept Woman
- Joshua Dunham - bass guitar on All This Love, Something U Already Know and Kept Woman
- Prince - co-producer and arranger, executive producer (as NPG)
- Bria Valente - co-producer and arranger
- Mr. Hayes - additional production
- Kevin 'KD' Davis - assistant engineer
- Ian Boxill - assistant engineer
- Eddy Schreyer - mastering at Oasis Los Angeles
- Clare Fischer - string arrangements on Everytime and Elixer
- Another Boy download-only single
|Entry Date||Chart, Country||Peak Position||Weeks In Chart|
|Billboard R&B/Hip-Hop Albums, USA||18 Apr. 2009||1 (1 week)||23|
|Billboard Independent Albums, USA||18 Apr. 2009||1 (1 week)||20|
|Billboard 200, USA||18 Apr. 2009||2||13|
|USA||CD||07541 09549|| Target exclusive, 3CD package with
Prince's Lotusflow3r and MPLSound
|USA||Digital download||n/a||.wav format|
|USA||Digital download||n/a||mp3 320kb format|
Variants, special editions and re-releases
- Elixer is only available to purchase as part of the Lotusflow3r package, along with Prince's Lotusflow3r and MPLSound.
- Bria Valente was rumored to be performing on the The Tonight Show With Jay Leno along with Prince, but her appearance was canceled at the last minute for reasons unknown. Prince performed without her instead.
- Bria Valente appeared on the PBS show Tavis Smiley on 28 April 2009 to discuss the album and her working relationship with Prince. She did not perform, however.
- Elixer had its own 'area' on the website Lotusflow3r.com, containing a download of the album, a video for the song Everytime, and various promotional photos.
- Here Come was streamed on 3121.com as the first Jam Of The Week (at first titled 'Jam Of The Month'), on 12 October 2007 (as "Here I Come"), but no album was announced at the time.
Awards, nominations, and certifications
- Elixer appears to be a deliberately-misspelled word to give the sexual connotation 'he licks her'. When Another Boy was released as a download single, however, the artwork stated the album title as the correctly-spelled 'Elixir'.
- While Prince appears prominently on instrumentation throughout the album, his only vocals appear as a duet with Bria on the title track, Elixer.
Never Forget: A Journey Of Revelations
|All Albums||All Related Artists Albums||2010