The Flesh is a project band that never came into full fruition. In a way it was forecasting what Prince and Eric Leeds would later do with Madhouse. The core of the initial produce was from sessions on 28 December 1985 with Prince on guitar, keyboard and percussion, Sheila E. on drums, Levi Seacer, Jr. on bass guitar and Eric Leeds on saxophone, and a session on 5 January 1986 with Prince mainly on drums, Sheila E. and Jonathan Melvoin on percussion, Lisa Coleman on piano, Wendy Melvoin on guitar, Levi Seacer, Jr. on bass guitar and Eric Leeds on saxophone. The song A Couple Of Miles recorded by Prince and Eric Leeds on 26 December 1985 was also considered for the project.
A tentative eponymous titled EP The Flesh was quickly compiled with some 20 minutes of the extended jam Junk Music making up side 1 and two more parts of Junk Music titled Up From Below and Y'All Want Some More? with A Couple Of Miles on side 2.
Interestingly, artwork sketches revealed in 2017 show that the shelved Dream Factory album in mid-1986 was at some point also to be attributed to The Flesh although it had nothing to do with the sessions with 'The Flesh' band. It was seemingly a way for Prince to move away from using The Revolution band moniker on his albums, even when The Revolution would not be disbanded until October of 1986.
- Prince - guitar, keyboard and percussion, drums
- Sheila E. - percussion, drums
- Jonathan Melvoin - percussion
- Lisa Coleman - piano
- Wendy Melvoin - guitar
- Levi Seacer, Jr. - bass guitar
- Eric Leeds - saxophone
The Flesh songs
- 26 December 1985 – (Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA, USA): A Couple Of Miles
- 28 December 1985 – (Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA, USA): Slaughterhouse; U Just Can't Stop; Run Amok; Mobile; Madrid; Breathless; High Calonic; 12 Keys
- 30 December 1985 – (Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA, USA): Voodoo Who; Most Strongest Whiskey ; Damn; U Gotta Shake Something
- 5 January 1986 – (Sunset Sound, Hollywood, CA, USA): Groove In C Minor; Slow Groove In G Major; Groove In G Flat Minor; Junk Music; Up From Below and Y'All Want Some More?